Ten Tips to Speed Up Your Home Inspection
Speed up your home sale by preparing your home ahead of time using the following tips. Your home inspection will go smoother, with fewer concerns to delay closing.
1. Confirm that that the water, electrical and gas services are turned on (including pilot lights).
2. Although we enjoy pets, please make sure your pets won’t hinder the home inspection. Ideally, they should be removed from the premises or secured outside. Tell your agent about any pets that will be at the home during the inspection
3. Replace burned-out light bulbs to avoid a “light is inoperable” report narrative that may suggest an electrical problem.
4. Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and replace dead batteries as needed.
5. Clean or replace dirty HVAC air filters. They should fit securely.
6. Remove any stored items, debris and wood from the foundation. These may be cited as “conducive conditions” for pests.
7. Remove items blocking access to HVAC equipment, electrical service panels, the water heater, attic and crawlspace access doors.
8. Unlock any locked areas that your home inspector must access, such as the attic door or hatch, the electrical service panel, the door to the basement, and any exterior gates.
9. Trim tree limbs so that they are at least 10 feet away from the roof. Trim any shrubs that are too close to the house and can hides pests or hold moisture against the exterior.
10. Repair or replace any broken or missing items, such as doorknobs, locks or latches, windowpanes or screens, gutters or downspouts, or chimney caps.
Checking these areas before your home inspection is an investment in selling your property. Not only will it help speed up the inspection process, but your real estate agent will thank you!
Questions? You Can Reach Us At: (206) 799-6084 Or Shay@westinspectllc.com